Saturday, December 31, 2016

Spaceman by Mike Massimino, Book Review

"If you work hard and get help from good friends, together you can overcome almost any challenge, no matter how great."



     Spaceman by Mike Massimino is a compelling narrative that tells the story of a young astronaut candidate trying to reach his dream of traveling to space. It features personal narration, witty humor, and inspiring messages as we follow Massimino on his journey. 

    Now, let me start off by saying math and science have never been my strong suit. I've always been interested in space, astronomy, and flight due to my participation in Civil Air Patrol, and individual followings of the latest in space news. However, I never wanted to be an astronaut. I knew writing and art were where my passions lie. So when I decided to pick up this book I honestly thought I would be bored out of my mind. Yeah, it's an astronaut and I love astronauts, but I don't need to be bombarded by science and math terms in my free time. Oh was I wrong. Mike Massimino does such a great job of introducing you to the formal scientific terms of things throughout the novel, but then provides an easy to understand description of what he means. I never even knew I was actually learning things until I put the book down and thought about it. Way to go for getting this artsy kid into science, Massimino!

    There was absolutely no room to be bored with Massimino at all in this book. Even from the get-go. The first few words in the book, I was already engaged and the writer had taken control of my attention. That's not something very many readers can accomplish. Never did he lose my interest. He talked about these strides in aerospace technology, and the less impressive life of a college kid trying to be apart of those strides. His humor and overall passion for the space program really show as everything he says just sounds interesting and fun.

    One of the elements that truly makes this book interesting is the detailing of not only his personal progress, but the progression of the space program. You see, Massimino was a man who grew with the program and that allows the reader to have a unique insight that we can't find anywhere else. As someone who is interested in astronomy recreationally, the detailing of the space program was a nice touch. I could honestly see this book being used in classrooms to teach kids about space travel and astronauts. (*cough* Hey Mrs. Miller if you're reading this *cough*) 

    Even if you're like me, someone who never considered aerospace as a possible career path, this book will speak to you. No matter what you want to do with your life, this book speaks to you. This book explores common themes of perseverance, camaraderie, teamwork, and of course, exploration (of science and of yourself). This book causes you to look inside of yourself. What do you want to achieve in your life? How bad do you want it? What are you actively doing to achieve it? No matter if you're five, or one hundred and five, Massimino shows how no matter who you are, you can achieve your dreams if you work hard (and boy do I mean hard). 

    To recap, Massimino's humor, and laid-back tone make this book easy and fun to read no matter the experience you have with science. This book does a very good job of keeping the reader engaged and on their toes. Additionally, you get a glimpse of not only the progression of an astronaut, but of the space program as a whole. And finally, no matter who you are or what you want to do with your life, this book will speak to you somehow.

This book was given to me by bloggingforbooks.com for an honest review. 
5/5 stars

   HEY GUYS BATSY HERE I DON'T KNOW WHAT BLOGGER IS DOING TO MY FORMAT. PLEASE BE PATIENT AS I TRY TO FIX THE FONT. 

No comments:

Post a Comment