Friday, July 11, 2014

Anime Review: Kuragehime/Princess Jellyfish

Kuragehime (or Princess Jellyfish in English) is an anime program that debuted in 2010. (Now before you fans kill me, I am only talking about the anime here!) It is written by Akiko Higashimura and is licensed by Funimation. The anime is about a young fujoshi (which is the female version of an otaku. For those of you who are unaware of these Japanese phrases, an Otaku is pretty much a nerd, dork, you name it. It is used as an insult in Japan)named Tsukimi who moves into Amamizukan, a home for women. None of the women have boyfriends, which goes hand-in-hand with their no boys rule, and all of them are fujoshi to the core. Tsukimi has always had this obsession with jellyfish and had always hoped she'd one day turn into a beautiful princess like she told her mother. One day, when visiting her favorite jellyfish, Kuwawa (Clara in English) at a pet store she notices a deadly jellyfish in it's tank. In a dispute with a worker at the store, a young woman named Kuranosuke steps in. Upon seeing Kuranosuke's beauty and confidence, the owner hands over the jellyfish to Tsukimi. After this, Kuranosuke is set on becoming friends with Tsukimi and always hanging out with her at Amamizukan. This poses two problems: (1) Kuranosuke reveals that she is actually a he dressing as a woman. (2) Kuranosuke is far too beautiful for the other members to feel comfortable. The anime continues on their journey through friendship where Tsukimi is faced with problems such as relationships, heartbreak, financial struggles, and self-confidence.


What I Dislike About This Anime:
  • In the beginning we hear about her trying to become an illustrator, and although I know she needed to focus on designing dresses, I wish we could have seen just a bit more of her working to be an illustrator. 
  • Kuranosuke's uncle. This one is personally biased but I just don't get him. Although he's hilarious, he confuses me. Like where the heck did he get that schoolgirl uniform?!
What I Like About This Anime:
  • TSUKIMI!!!!!!!! I see a lot of myself in her aind the issues she was having with her self-esteem, I saw myself having. Seeing her overcome these struggles made me feel a lot better as a person. 
  • The feeling I got when I finished this anime. If you know me, you would know that my favorite anime is Kuroshitsuji, but not even that anime feel the way this anime made me feel. My heart got a whole lot lighter, and I even felt a surge of confidence from watching this anime. I think as an anime, if it can change you for the better like this, then it is a GREAT anime. 
  • Kuranosuke and Tsukimi's relationship. As much as it pissed me off that they actually never went out, their relationship was still beautiful. Kuranosuke really cared about her (and not entirely in a romantic way, in the beginning it was just friendship) and loved her. He worked hard and wanted her to see herself the way the he sees her. That is beautiful to me. 
  • The humor. The humor in this is just light, innocent (well sometimes), and just relatable! Even if we aren't fujoshis like the women in this (or heck even women!) there is something everyone can relate to in this!
So, overall this is a wonderful anime and I could recommend anyone to watch it. Heck, I would watch it over and over again if I could. I give this anime 5/5 BatSabers.





No comments:

Post a Comment