Sunday, July 13, 2014

Book Review: Geography Club

During my "quest" to discover more YA LGBT+ books, my aunt recommended me a book titled, Geography Club written by Brent Hartinger. So grab your compasses, globe, and maps.. Because we're joining the Geography Club!

Excerpt from back of book:
"Russel is still going on dates with girls. Kevin would do anything to prevent his teammates on the baseball team from finding out. Min and Terese tell everyone they're just really good friends. But after a while, the truth's to hard to hide-at least from each other-so they form the "Geography Club." Nobody else will come. Why would they want to? Their secret should be safe."





                                                        



What I Dislike About This Book:
  • The timing in the beginning. I think it was a bit rushed. On page 1, is where the story starts. We learn about Russel being a closeted gay, we learn about his insecurities in men's lockers room, even the cliques in the school. And then BAM! On page 21, Kevin and Russel have already met, they both know each other are gay, and are planning to meet again? What? I think the author could have taken a bit more time and not rushed things in the first two chapters. From there, however, I didn't have to much timing issues. 
  • We didn't get to know Ike very well in my opinion. Though the story is in first-person and it is centered around Russel, I just wish Russel could have tried to talk to Ike more just so we can get a better feel for who he was as a character. 


What I Like About This Book:
  • The humor. Because this book was written in first-person, centered on Russel, you got to get into his thoughts. AND I LOVE THAT! He's a teenager and he has his sarcastic teenage humor, I just love it!
  • The different representation of different members in the LGBT community. We had three gay men, one lesbian, and one bisexual girl. Not to mention their three straight allies! The only thing that could have made it better is if they had a transsexual member or a gender queer member. 
  • *SPOILER ALERT*Russel's big decision. In the end of the book, we see Russel talking to Kevin about their relationship. He's hoping in his mind that there will be someway, anyway for them to stay together, he didn't care what it was. Then Kevin says he wants to be with Russel, but no one else can know, they have to keep it under wraps. Russel knows he deserves so much more than that, so he leaves. Although it broke my heart to see Kevin actually cry, Russel deserved to be loved, and loved publicly, not having to hide just to save some reputation. 
So over-all it was a pretty good book. It made me laugh a lot, in the end it also made me cry. It was diverse, and it was different. I give it 3.5 BatSabers because, although it was wonderfully written, for me it just lacked that wow factor that leaves you hung on the book. If it weren't for that, I would have given it more. I still think it's hilarious and I would re-read it, as well as recommend it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment