Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Book Review: The God Box

Alright you guys. This has to be my favorite book so far! This book sent me on such an emotional rollercoaster. This book is called The God Box by Alex Sanchez.

Excerpt from back of the book:
"Paul has dated Angie since middle school, and they're good together. They hav a lot of the same interests, like singing in their church choir and being active in Bible Club. But when Manuel transfers to their school, Paul has to rethink his life. Manuel is the first openly gay teen anyone in their small town has ever met, and yet he's also a committed Christian. 

Talking to Manuel makes Paul reconsider thoughts he has kept hidden, and listening to Manuel's interpretation of Biblical passages on homosexuality causes Paul to re-evaluate everything he believed. Manuel's outspokenness triggers dramatic consequences at school, culminating in a terrifying situation that leads Paul to take a stand."

Whew did you get all pumped up reading that description or was it just me? Okay, got off topic there. Let's just jump right in.

                                                       

What I Didn't Like About This Book:
  • Alright this one is more of a misunderstanding but, what I didn't get is out of all the people in their school, how did Manuel know that Pablo was gay? He had a girlfriend, and was with the strong Christians, so it would be hard to know.. Right? Well I guess not. I guess some people really are equipped with the supposed "Gay-Dar". 
(I don't know if it's just me but the Gay-Dar seems like an owl swooping in on it's prey. Like out of aaaalllll the possibilities the owl still finds the little mouse.)


  • I know that Pablo had to leave Angie because he was just leading her on, making her believe that he loved her but.. I just was so in love with their relationship that it broke my heart a bit. 
What I Liked About This Book:
  • BIBLICAL DEBATES! On many occasions, there were battles between Christians using the bible. I love that! Each side can both learn something from the other and you just get to see how entirely different people interpret the Bible. 
  • ANGIE. Angie was a beautiful character! She supported Pablo no matter what, even after he left her. Why? Because she loves him (as a best friend and romantically) and just wants his happiness. Not just that, she is understanding of Manuel and even sticks up for him against the hateful members of the bible club. 
  • I love Manuel's take on the bible and religion. Such as calling God a "she" and proving how loving someone is not a sin. 
  • My feels! This book made me laugh, and it really made me cry! You know why this is a good thing? If a book can make you feel that much for fictional characters, and transport you into their world, then it's done it's job!
This book was amazing! It was so well written and the pace was perfect! I give it 5 out of 5 BatSabers and I would recommend it to EVERYONE I knew. Seriously, if everyone read this book, the world would be a lot more understanding to each other. 


No comments:

Post a Comment