Friday, January 31, 2014

Food For Thought: LGBTQ+ Christians?

First off, let me explain to you what food for thought is. It is something that I will be doing in between blog posts. I want this to be a bit more interactive and I want to hear your opinions on the topic. (Hopefully) Each week I'll have a new topic and I can post your thoughts from the previous week. These are topics that have been on my mind for awhile so I want to share my opinion and research and perhaps hear some of yours. :) 

~Lissy

LGBTQ+ CHRISTIANS? 

What does LGBTQ+ mean? It is the community of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and others (including straight allies).

What does Christian mean? It means believing in one God and believing he sent Jesus Christ to die for you. You believe in Heaven and Hell, angels and demons, God and the devil (although we do not worship the devil), and you believe in life after death.

My opinion:

I am a Christian and a supporter of the LGBTQ community. I really want to believe everyone is going to Heaven, although I know some won't make it. That both hurts and scares me. I want to at least be one of the ones who can make it to Heaven because the thought of demons, the devil, and Hell scare me. I also wish to believe that some sins are punishable since people know what they're doing, but some things that are considered "wrong" or "unholy" aren't punishable.

What does the bible say about homosexuality?

Leviticus 18:22:

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.














Romans 1:26-28





For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done.
















These are a few of the bible verses I found... I chose not to put all since you get my point. 

















My Internet Research:








So, in the bible verses above, homosexual relationships have been stated as an "abomination". Well, I looked up what other things are considered an abomination in the bible;






There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers. - Proverbs 6: 16-19









So, you know that little white lie you told to get you out of trouble? Well that's a sin. Do you remember checking out that hot girl/guy the other day? That's considered lust which is one of the seven deadly sins. Murder? That's there too. 








Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. -Galatians 5:19-21












Having sex before marriage? That's considered a horrible sin. Cheating on your spouse or even getting a divorce? Yep that's one too. If you put anything before God (which well I can agree with this you probably shouldn't do that.. but you know it happens sometimes.) that is considered a sin. Ever been jealous of what someone had? That's a sin. Ever lashed out in anger? You guessed it, sin. Ever had a rival or gotten into a dispute with somone? Sin. Have you ever gotten drunk or high before? That's also a sin. Have you ever been a part of an orgy? That's a sin as well. 











“A woman shall not wear a man's garment, nor shall a man put on a woman's cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God.-Deuteronomy 22:5










Are you a woman who happens to feel comfortable in men's clothes sometimes? Or are you a man who has borrowed some women's clothes. Ever borrowed clothes from the opposite sex, or dress like the opposite sex? Well apparently here it says that this is a sin too. 











You shall not round off the hair on your temples or mar the edges of your beard. -Leviticus 19:27








Did you just shave? Sorry, that is an abomination as well. 











My conclusion:








Although I have no right to argue against the Word of God, some of these things seem a little outdated. Even when Jesus was on Earth, he was considered a rebel and didn't follow the law exactly. (I mean, he worked on a Saturday which was considered a big no-no back then) But he focused on what was really important; loving and worshipping God. 






I'm not sure that homosexuality is a sin punishable by death, because I don't feel like it's a choice. If people could choose, they probably would choose not to be considering all of the discrimination and hate they get. Although, if you believe that this is the case, I dare you to try choosing a different sexual orientation for the day. Not easy huh? 





And even if it was a sin, who are we, as people-no as humans, to deny them basic rights like the rest of us? EVERYONE has sinned, and most likely, more than once. But is anyone denying you marriage? Are people constantly telling you how you're an abomination? Do you get kicked out of your homes by family? Do you even get denied rights in church? No! We're all people, and we're all sinners! We all should be able to love each other, even though we sin and not judge one others sin. You may say that some sins are worse than others.. Say being a homosexual is worse than telling a little white lie.. But to God, it's all just sin and he doesn't judge them like that. Just love one another, even with the sins. You never know, your love could even save a life. 













So, what are you guy's opinions? Please comment and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment